- Exhibition works, including creation of temporary stud partition walls.
- Coordination of trade specialists
- Interior design and decorating
The Tate Britain have worked previously with MCD Heritage to construct and decorate the exhibition space for the Turner Prize. In 2016, with under two weeks to the opening of the Turner Prize , MCD Heritage began work to transform the area to showcase the Turner Prize 32nd Exhibition.
The project included the additional challenge of co-ordinating with the painter who created the sky for Andrea Hamilton's installation so that the sky could be created whilst the rest of the space was being finished.
MCD Heritage Approach
With the complexity of the artwork, including sculpture, photographs, and angled walls to divide the exhibition area, MCD Heritage had to work closely with the artists to ensure that the display was in line with their vision.
A particular challenge was aligning the wall paper exactly so that it not only resembled a brick wall, but allowed Anthea Hamilton's suit to take centre stage. The joins had to be seamless and with such a large space to cover this required incredible skill. However, we were delighted with the results, as were the Tate Britain.
In addition we had to create the metal framework for Andrea Hamilton's chastity belts, ensuring that they hung precisely as required.
Throughout the project, the team from MCD Heritage completed the following;
- Full internal demolition of the current exhibitions,
- Co-ordination of all works with art handlers,
- Constructing angled walls
- Constructing metal frames for Anthea Hamilton's artwork
- Wall papering 3 walls to mirror brick
- Painting and finishing Galleries
- Co-ordination of artists, electricians and painter
The Tate Britain benefitted from a completed installation, ahead of schedule with all artists’ work displayed to meet their vision.
Get in touch
Let's discuss your next project
From small, intimate builds to large-scale projects, we are always happy to chat about building a partnership that meets you specific needs.